- Underground Burial Chamber in Mycenae (circa 1250 BC) Underground Burial Chamber in Mycenae (circa 1250 BC)
- Interpretation of the Achaean Defensive Trench in Troy as described by Homer Interpretation of the Achaean Defensive Trench in Troy as described by Homer
- Satellite view of the site of the Tyre causeway built by Alexander the Great in 332 BC. Satellite view of the site of the Tyre causeway built by Alexander the Great in 332 BC.
- Pu’ukoholā Heiau built circa 1791. Pu’ukoholā Heiau built circa 1791.
- View of remains of the siege ramp at Lachish in 701 BC View of remains of the siege ramp at Lachish in 701 BC
- Remains of Walls in Phylacopi, island of Milos (circa 1100 BC) Remains of Walls in Phylacopi, island of Milos (circa 1100 BC)
Working with undergraduate students at the University of Michigan , we have created in 2015 an Historical Database of Civil Engineering Projects that is available through TheCivilEngineer. You can view it here.
- Zekkos, D. (2016). “Military geotechnics in the ancient world.” Geo-Strata, January-February 2016, 34-38.
- Zekkos, D. (2007). “The Siege of Ancient Tyre in 332 B.C.: An Offshore Construction Success.” Geo-Strata, September-October 2007, 8 (5), 14-16 and 28.
- Medley, E., Zekkos, D., (2007). “Seismic Performance of Rock Block Structures With Observations From the October 2006 Hawaii Earthquake.” Proc., 4th International Conference on Earthquake Geotechnical Engineering, June 25-28, 2007, Thessaloniki, Greece. View .pdf
- Zekkos, D., Athanasopoulos, G., Athanasopoulos, A. Manousakis, J. (2006). “Elements of Engineering Geology and Geotechnical Engineering in the Homeric Poems.” Proc., International Symposium on Science and Technology in Homeric Epics, August 27-30, 2006, Ancient Olympia, Greece. View .pdf
- Zekkos, D. P. (2006). “Surface Excavations, Fills and Embankments in Ancient Greece.” Proc. 5th Hellenic Conference in Geotechnical & Geoenvironmental Engineering, May 30-June 1, 2006, Xanthe, Greece, Technical Chamber of Greece and the Hellenic Society of Soil Mechanics and Foundation Engineering, 1, 521-528 (in Greek). View .pdf
- Zekkos, D., Manousakis, J., Athanasopoulos, A. (2005). “Geotechnical Engineering Practice in the Mycenaean Civilization (1600-1100 BC).” Proc., 2nd International Conference on Ancient Greek Technology, October 17-21, 2005, Athens, Greece. View .pdf
- Zekkos, D. P., Athanasopoulos, A. (2004). “Milos Island: Working with Earth for More than 9000 Years.” Cover story in AEG (Association of Engineering Geologists) News, 47 (1), 16-18. View .pdf