- 2014 Collingwood Prize, American Society of Civil Engineers. Awarded for the paper “Lessons learned from Case Histories of Dynamic compaction of Municipal Solid Waste Sites" published in the ASCE Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering.
- 2013 Outstanding Innovator Award, International Society for Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering (ISSMGE). This award is “in recognition of innovations in Geo-engineering that have a pronounced impact on geo-engineering practice, research and education. The term “innovation” is used broadly to describe any major, unprecedented achievements that led to a major advancement in our Profession.”
- 2013 Faculty Excellence Award, Civil and Environmental Engineering Department, University of Michigan.
- 2012 ASCE Arthur Casagrande Professional Development Award “for his contributions to the advancement of solid waste engineering and dedicated service and leadership in promoting geo-engineering research, education and practice through the creation of a pioneering website and online journal”
- 2012 Great Lakes District of Chi Epsilon James M. Robbins Excellence in Teaching Award
- 2011 Outstanding Research Mentorship Award, Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program (UROP), University of Michigan (awarded to top 5 sponsors out of approximately 750)
- 2010 Thomas A. Middlebrooks Award, American Society of Civil Engineers. Awarded for the paper: “Shear Strength of Municipal Solid Waste,” published in the ASCE Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, and was judged worthy of special commendation for its merit as a contribution to geotechnical engineering.
- 2010 Outstanding Research Mentorship Award, Honorable Mention, Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program (UROP), University of Michigan (awarded to top 8 sponsors out of approximately 700)
- 2002-2003 Outstanding Graduate Student Instructor Award in recognition of exceptional achievements as a Graduate Student Instructor of the CE172 “Introduction to Rock Mechanics” course (awarded May 2003).
- 2002 Harry Bolton Seed Award: Awarded to the MSc student who completes “in an exemplary manner” the Geoengineering Master’s Program at the Civil & Environmental Engineering Department of the University of California at Berkeley (awarded May 2002).
- Honorable Award, Eurasian National University, Kazakhstan, for great contributions in ISSMGE Board Activity at term 2009-2013
- 2013 Technical Committee of the year, American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) Geo-institute, Geoenvironmental Technical Committee, Vice Chair
- General Reporter, Seventh International Conference on Case Histories in Geotechnical Engineering, April 29, May 4 2013, Chicago.
- Eminent Engineer, Tau Beta Pi, December 2012
- General Reporter, 5th International Conference on recent advances in geotechnical earthquake engineering and soil dynamics”, San Diego, CA, May 24-29 2010.
- Chi-Epsilon, University of Michigan Chapter, Member, December 2009.
- General Reporter, 6th International Conference on Case Histories in Geotechnical Engineering, Arlington, VA, August 11-16, 2007.
- NSF-funded Graduate Research Assistantship, University of California at Berkeley, under the supervision of Professor Jonathan D. Bray in collaboration with the University of Texas at Austin, Geosyntec Consultants and Arizona State University (8/2002 – 11/2005).
- Jane Lewis Graduate Fellowship, Civil & Environmental Engineering Department, University of California at Berkeley (January 2002).
- Graduate Teaching Assistantship, University of California at Berkeley. Course taught: “CE172: Introduction to Rock Mechanics” instructed by Professor S. Glaser (Spring 2002).
- Graduate Teaching Assistantship, University of California at Berkeley. Course taught: “CE171: Introduction to Geological Engineering” instructed by Professor S. Glaser (Fall 2001).
- National Academic Excellence Award by the Technical Chamber of Greece (May 2001).
- Academic Performance Scholarship, Department of Civil Engineering, University of Patras. Granted by the State Scholarships Foundation of Greece (I.K.Y) - Ranking: 3rd/139 (March 1999)